Why I am not going to say about my current salary?
1. I worked as a scholarship student. Surely the government salary is not competitive to the private sector. Therefore I am not going to let it be a reason against my salary in the future. Don't forget that government granted me both degree on Bsc and also Msc. That's mean they accepted my competancy. First job working with government it was 15,000 THB NIMT, and 2nd place even worse when I was in the Mahidol University it was 12,000 THB. How long do you think I have to stick with that?
2. I agree on value of the project not on the past salary. It is irrelevant. However, I don't over estimate my capacities and skills. Suppose you approach me with shinny idea, but I have no idea to complete it. I just simply say I can't. I am not going to blindly accept your proposal and risk both of us.
3. Jumping the salary is unclear to me. You have to quantify the value first. By that it means you have a proper career path for everyone in the organization
How do I quantify and judge my skillsets?
I judge my skills based on my competitors. For example stackoverflow, gitter channel, meetup, ... etc. And I always keep contacting with community as much as I can to get up to date. My secret sauce of knowledge are keep learning and keep in touch with professional in that field.
Course online is very important no matter they are free or non free. Because they were created by professional. Then you can jump up the hill very fast here.
How can employer prevent from "salary jumping"?
How do you quantify jumping? It is ambiguous. Then to be fair. Quantify on the performance and value of the project. I know my competancy. Because you will find out sooner or later anyway. So I am not going to ruin my reputation and self esteem for sure.
I had 50% off when I changed my career from consulting area to software engineer field
Because I know I have no skills for new area during the career turning point.
I am 33 years old by now. I want to have work/life balance. Changing job is life threatening decision. Looking for project 2 months almost caught me to the hospital. Any stress from job can't compete with changing job. It is the most dreadful to me every time even now.
Keep learning, but has limited of frameworks?
I go deep not go broad. My passion is deep learning. Backend Engineering is part of the programming skill I have to build up and make living. And during the path of my passiong. I learn DevOps, Infra, or system too. Because single backend skill no one gonna hire me. Therefore I have to add more skills up until now you will found me with full cycle, but weak in some area for example frontend. It is a whole new world.
Don't forget customer does not mind under the hood. Customer needs values.
Hiring newbie coding is better than mine
My univeristiy physics instuctor told me one about this.
Writing a pendulum simulation which is sinusoidal motion. You can either start with putting since/cosine hard code or start with finite element.
If you plan to be a small business and will never ever grow up or scale up to enterprise level or you are in the early stage and no idea what next year is going to be. Then go that way. I have seen buy & sell companies suffers from junior bugs and let me rewrite the entire project once, because it is unknown practice, no design, no honorable test cases, use manual implementation not an automated one, and newbie is not going to support their shitty codes next year.
Good luck with your business.
Is it possible for me to work for free?
YES and I do donation as well!
1. I contributing back to community for example in the stackoverflow, meetup or PyCon
2. Interesting project. Great for my profile.